Me.

Me.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not so good with the title-making.


There is a cat on my head, an article on Jharkand’s malaria endemic on my lap, and stress about the future on my computer screen. Actually, the cat is on my lap, the article is on the screen…you get the gist.

I realize that this is the second entry in a row about being bekaar.  To readers in a similar predicament, I apologize if I keep causing your hand to extend in a disconnected manner towards that large pint of ice-cream in the freezer. To everyone else, welcome to airhead-geek space. (note - you should switch to low-fat if you’ve been bekaar for a while, that shit piles up)

Why is it that so many individuals in my age group don’t know what they want (career-wise at least)? It isn’t so at home – almost everybody I went to school with in Mumbai already knows what they are doing; for example, many are already married/engaged – bas life set. That last bit makes me doubt the amount of independence that all-girls’ Catholic schools claim to propagate. Okay, seriously though – a lot of MIG girls I graduated with are writers, doctors, MBAs, etc. and really enjoy their jobs. Almost everyone I know here in the US is either knee-deep in loans, in grad school (mainly sar-firaas like me) or working crappy jobs while trying to figure out what they want. Only a select few are already on desired career-paths. I agree that I have been a part of this country for 7 years and therefore part of the US educational process (at least till 12th) I lovingly call mollycoddling. I remember being asked to name an example of a gas on my first day in a US school in 2003 – completely bemused, I answered hydrogen sulfide, due to which the chemistry professor thought I was mocking him. The correct answer was AIR. Saala taklu. As opposed to Ms. Ghorpade, who frequently pulled me out of my seat using my left ear as a lever, screaming “aamcha mulaancha yo!!” 

I digress. It is late, so for parting words I’d like to say something encouraging to all my fellow unmarried MIG classmates who have been victims of “oh you’re single? Umm, oh honey that’s okay!” – fuck them. They don’t know what they’re missing. Enjoy the next decade of youth.



3 comments:

  1. Lol! Ms. Ghorpade - I had forgotten about that woman. Do you think she's still alive?

    And WTF is 'Taara baap nu kaapad', Smru Potter? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D
    I hope she is....n abt the MIG classmates...i agree..wid da number of girls gettin married n all..i suddenly feel as if m one of those survivin few who r still strugglin wid homework n assignments n exams while my once classmates r busy contemplating which contraceptive is better n how to deal wid their mother-in-laws!!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think you definitely are! May I ask who this angel-in-waiting is?

    ReplyDelete